Carozona Girl

Hello there...my name is Kim Engle. I work from home and am a busy wife and mother of two boys, Tyler & Trevor. My blog includes my current bible study and some of my favorite food blogs as well. I am a Christian foodie, who knew. I grew up in the glorious South in South Carolina and currently make my humble abode in Arizona. We love to do lots of outdoorsy things like hiking, ziplining, fishing, cooking, reading, tennis, karate, going to the lake and hanging out with our friends.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Unglued Ch. 5 ~ The Exploders

Well, we really have gotten into the dirt now...the exploders...yep, that's me...both the shame and blame kind.   This is just a brilliant chapter.  I love, love, love the statement about raw emotions...raw emotions won't sit quietly awaiting further instructions.  They'll move - outward if we explode and inward if we stuff.  They definitely come out of no where and knock me over for sure!  What a concept, though...have a plan for  the next explosion!  We do this in all sorts of other ways, why not with our emotions?

I remember a time when I had Fear as my idol.  I was afraid to be home alone at night when my husband was out of town, and I was afraid of large 18-wheeler trucks when I had to pass one on the freeway.  I had been watching a pastor on TV (Creflo Dollar), and he had a great sermon on fear...he said the next time you feel fear, just speak scripture...he told us a particular one:  "Greater is he that is in me, than he that is in the world."  Amazing...you know I'm not afraid anymore of these things since I began years ago speaking this scripture when I was home alone during the night and when passing those 18 wheeler trucks.  Such an easy thing to do, and you wouldn't think that would be all you need to do, but it is.  It took me a month or two to feel some real progress, but it definitely worked.

Sipping shame...nice.
This is tough, but I do get it...don't want to have to guzzle regret later.  I always think of this prior to the explosion, but in the heat of the moment, it just comes right out, like I don't care if I regret it later.  But I do, I always do.  Another profound epiphany, is that the last thing we want to do is trade our unhealthy explosions for unhealthy stuffing.  That is a fine line to walk.  I could see how we could become stuffers so as not to explode.

People vs. Satan
The scale of people vs. Satan is also great...a very great perspective on things.  This is all about transforming and renewing our minds and thoughts and taking them captive.  It all fits in together.  We have been letting Satan win by doing this dumping.  I know I have for certain.  I will need to keep this book as a reference in my purse for the next time I feel an explosion coming on.  It isn't always an email that gets us worked up, it is in person...that's tough.  Gonna be taking lots of trips to the bathroom for humbly talks with God. :)


Honor. Grace. Compassion (HGC).
Choosing a gentle reply doesn't mean you are weak, it means you possess a rare and godly strength.  This goes along with my word of the year ~ Gentleness.

Self Control - boy that is a hard one to swallow.
I think I have this entire section highlighted! We do have a choice...to give the other person the power to control our emotions or hold our tongue and keep the power.  I want to react according to God's Word so I feel that power.  I have noticed just over the past couple of weeks during this bible study how my inner strength has grown.  Now, I must say I still had some explosion moments, but they were nothing like before, and they were fewer than before.  It seems things just aren't ticking me off like they did just a couple of weeks ago.

Self Control is the fruit of the Holy Spirit.  Holy Restraint is the seed of this fruit.  I can see this already going on in my life somewhat over the last couple of weeks since beginning this study.  So neat to see how God's Word works internally through us. Love the analogy of the cake that couldn't withstand the pressure of an undone center.

Here's what I am taking away from Ch. 5:
  • Raw emotions won't sit quietly awaiting further instructions.  They'll move - outward if we explode and inward if we stuff.
  • Sip the shame so you won't have to guzzle the regret.
  • Do not trade unhealthy exploding for unhealthy stuffing.
  • Don't do Satan's work for him by dumping on each other.
  • Honor...Grace...Compassion in my responses.
  • Choosing gentle reply doesn't mean you are weak, just given rare and godly strength.
  • Feelings are indicators not dictators.
  • Infuse my heart with holy restraint so I can develop self control.  Holy restraint is the seed that produces the fruit of self control.
  • Find quiet place (bathroom) to do the following:  
    • humble ourselves
    • get in a more rational place
    • anxiety gives way to progress
    • acknowledge the real enemy
    • God will use conflict for good

My prayer:  Lord, I pray that my raw emotions do not cause me to explode or stuff.  I also pray that I am able to sip the shame so I won't have to guzzle regret later.  Give me gentleness, strength and self control to respond with honor, grace and compassion in all that I do.  May my tongue be guarded by your word and may all that I say be glorifying to you, God.  Infuse my heart with holy restraint so I can develop self control. In Jesus name...Amen.

2 comments:

  1. What a GREAT summary of chapter 5. I am so blessed that you have made progress in controlling your responses to your emotions. Our God is truly awesome.

    Blessings,
    Catherine
    OBS Group Leader

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your Blog. I enjoyed reading what you have taken away from chapter 5 and found myself nodding often. Our God is such an awesome God and I love being able to listen and share without fear. Bless you Elaine

    ReplyDelete