Carozona Girl

Hello there...my name is Kim Engle. I work from home and am a busy wife and mother of two boys, Tyler & Trevor. My blog includes my current bible study and some of my favorite food blogs as well. I am a Christian foodie, who knew. I grew up in the glorious South in South Carolina and currently make my humble abode in Arizona. We love to do lots of outdoorsy things like hiking, ziplining, fishing, cooking, reading, tennis, karate, going to the lake and hanging out with our friends.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Unglued Ch. 3 ~ Prisoner

When reading Ch. 3, Lysa sure does know how to grab a reader's attention.  In each of the chapters so far, she tells a story in her life, then she explains how to overcome whatever issue was in the story.  I really am enjoying this book and I am very surprised that I am not the only one out there going through being "unglued" from time to time.  Yay for all the freak out women out there learning not to be a freak out woman (it's hard).

So, usually in the mornings before school is usually when my freak out moment occurs...when one of the boys didn't complete a task that they're responsible for.  These used to be my freak out moments...but God is good.  We've since trained the boys to get up and complete their chores without us having to hound them, which used to get me to my freak out moment of the day. We get up early enough for them to complete them so we don't have to rush out the door with my hair on fire trying to get them to school timely.  I am a person who loves checklists, since I don't want to have to remember everything that needs to happen each day.  I made them a checklist...this seems to be God's gift to keeping calm (for me at least).  God is showing me how to be prepared as to avoid these freak out moments.

Back to the book...I love it when Lysa talks about the David sculpture.  I could really relate to this story...Letting God chisel us, which then led to the scripture from Ephesians 2:10.  I am trying to marinate on these scriptures, since each time I recite them to myself, I learn a little more.

"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:10.

Image from http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/michelangelo-1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/arts/artwork/michelangelo.htm&h=498&w=400&sz=45&tbnid=TLwB8MA_3eRRlM:&tbnh=91&tbnw=73&zoom=1&usg=__oX2seuOs3WV9DqqVIloSY9YrKPM=&docid=-x58pza5LRadFM&sa=X&ei=qg5rUNOnGcfSqgHmo4GIDA&ved=0CCIQ9QEwAA&dur=1437

Tips from Ch. 3 that I took away:

  • Labels are awful.  They imprison us in categories that are hard to escape.
  • Labels only stick if I let them.  (ex. Punchinello in the You are Special book)
  • Oh God, chisel me.  I don't want to be locked in my hard places forever. (ex. David sculpture)
  • "Let God chisel...let Him work on my hard places so I can leave the dark places of being stuck and come into the light of who He designed me to be."
  • A messy closet doesn't make me a mess...It makes me a child of God who has a messy closet.
  • Unglue the labels.
  • Identify label that is a lie, and that is meant to tear me down.
  • Choose to view the circumstance as a call to action, not a call to beat myself up mentally.
  • Use the momentum of tackling the first label, to tackle the next label.

No comments:

Post a Comment